Ukulele for Beginners
Start date: 10th Jan 2024
Time: 17:45 - 19:15
Duration: 10 weeks
Tutor: Alison Lyon
Course code: 24SP082
This course is for;
Anyone and everyone who wants a jolly good time. The ukulele is the world’s most cheerful and beginner-friendly musical instrument – you can’t be sad with a ukulele in your hand. If you do have some experience already, the course will build on your existing skills and teach new chords, new strumming patterns, finger-picking and other techniques.
For the first session students will need;
No special equipment required. If you’ve got a ukulele, please bring it, but if you haven’t, don’t
worry - you can play one of ours. You’ll need to cut your fingernails – but only on one hand!
Additional Costs; None. You don’t need to spend another bean.
Have weekly opportunities to play popular songs on the ukulele
- Have fun making music with other people
- Learn basic strumming techniques
- Discover the three chord trick then build up a larger repertoire of chords
- Practise some more advanced strumming patterns
- Play songs using other techniques, including chunking and finger picking
- Have an opportunity (if you want it) towards the end of the course to perform before an invited audience
By the end of the course students should: have a big smile. You will be able to play dozens of songs using your first three chords, and thousands more with the next few. You will know how to strum the ukulele in a variety of rhythms and will be branching out into other playing techniques. You will be developing the confidence and the ensemble skills to consider performing in public, if you wish to.