Latin Post Beginners
Start date: 20th Sep 2021
Time: 19:00 - 21:00
Duration: 10 weeks
Tutor: Jim Carter
Course code: AU21134
This course is for:
- Anyone who would like to refresh their recent learning, in an up-to-date way, and move forward with more complex language features into richer detailed narratives.
- Anyone who wants to develop their learning to read Latin for pleasure
- Anyone who wants to extend their range of approaches to exercising their brain
- Anyone who has studied the Cambridge Latin course, book one or similar, basic introduction
For the first session students will need:
- Something to write with and on; paper and pencil are fine.
- None, however, learners may choose to buy a physical copy of the free, online, in-browser version of the course used. We use the second book in the Cambridge Latin course (Stages 13ff.), albeit with regular reference to the grammar, structures and vocabulary from the first book (Stages 1-12) that is available online (no need to buy!)
This course aims to:
- Build on an introductory level of Latin, its vocabulary, syntax and sounds, via a well-structured coursebook that invites further, independent exploration
The course will cover:
- The necessary extra language features, constructions and vocabulary to tell a story in a more detailed and natural way.
- Verb infinitives with modal verbs to convey “want,” don’t want” and “can”
- Verb infinitives with difficile, necesse, etc. to convey, “It’s difficult / necessary … to…”
- Adjectives of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd declensions similarities, differences
- Relative clauses (“who…” and “that…” add-in phrases).
- Pluperfect tense for sequencing events that have happened in the past.
- Genitive (“of”, or “-‘s”) case.
- Present participle (“-ing”)
By the end of the course:
- Learners will be able to read and translate extended narratives and confidently manipulate structures to demonstrate their understanding of how the language encountered works.