Start date: 22nd Sep 2020
Time: 19:00 - 21:00
Duration: 10 weeks
Tutor: Jim Carter
Course code: 20AU079
For participants with some experience of Latin
This course is for:
• Anyone who would like to refresh their recent learning, in an up-to-date way, and move forward with more complex language features into richer detailed narratives.
• Anyone who wants to develop their learning to read Latin for pleasure
• Anyone who wants to extend their range of approaches to exercising their brain
• Anyone who has studied the Cambridge Latin course, book one or similar, basic introduction
• We use the Cambridge Latin course, Book 2, plus other sources, as appropriate
This course aims to:
• Build on an introductory level of Latin, its vocabulary, syntax and sounds, via a well-structured coursebook that invites further, independent exploration
The course will cover:
• The necessary extra language features, constructions and vocabulary to tell a story in a more detailed and natural way.
• Verb infinitives with modal verbs to convey “want,” don’t want” and “can”
• Verb infinitives with difficile, necesse, etc. to convey, “It’s difficult / necessary … to…”
• Adjectives of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd declensions similarities, differences
• Relative clauses (“who…” and “that…” add-in phrases).
• Pluperfect tense for sequencing events that have happened in the past.
• Genitive (“of”, or “-‘s”) case.
• Present participle (“-ing”)
By the end of the course:
• Learners will be able to read and translate extended narratives and confidently manipulate structures to demonstrate their understanding of how the language encountered works.