Start date: 21st Sep 2021
Time: 19:00 - 21:00
Duration: 10 weeks
Tutor: Jim Carter
Course code: AU21135
This course is for:
- Anyone who wants to learn to read Latin for pleasure
- Anyone who wants a different approach to exercising their brain
- Anyone who would like to revisit or refresh learning in their past with a more up-to-date approach.
For the first session students will need:
- Something to write with and on; paper and pencil are fine.
- None, however, learners may choose to buy a physical copy of the free, online, in-browser version of the course used. We use the Cambridge Latin course, Book 1, plus other sources, as appropriate, to widen the range of texts into what may already be familiar.
This course aims to:
- Introduce the Latin language, its vocabulary, structure and sound via lively presentation, cultural insights, and well-structured coursebook that invites further exploration
The course will cover:
- The necessary language features to tell a story.
- Nouns - their groups and cases
- Verbs - Present, imperfect and perfect tenses
- Word order
- Personal pronouns
- Transitive and Intransitive verbs
- Comparatives and superlatives
By the end of the course:
- Learners will be able to comprehend a basic narrative and make up their own versions with their understanding how the necessary language works.