Latin Beginners and Beginners Term 2
Start date: 22nd Feb 2021
Time: 19:00 - 21:00
Duration: 10 weeks
Tutor: Jim Carter
Course code: 21SP087
For participants new to Latin
This course is for:
• Anyone who wants to learn to read Latin for pleasure
• Anyone who wants a different approach to exercising their brain
• Anyone who would like to revisit or refresh learning in their past with a more up-to-date approach.
• We use the Cambridge Latin course, Book 1, plus other sources, as appropriate
This course aims to:
• Introduce the Latin language, its vocabulary, structure and sound via lively presentation, cultural insights, and well-structured coursebook that invites further exploration
The course will cover:
• The necessary language features to tell a story.
• Nouns - their groups and cases
• Verbs - Present, imperfect and perfect tenses
• Word order
• Personal pronouns
• Transitive and Intransitive verbs
• Comparatives and superlatives
By the end of the course:
• Learners will be able to comprehend a basic narrative and make up their own versions with their understanding how the necessary language works.