German upper intermediate/advanced
Start date: 15th Jan 2020
Time: 11:25 - 13:25
Duration: 10 weeks
Tutor: Ulrike Hitchen
Course code: 20SP110
This course is for:
Students have completed at least four years of German or equivalent.
The course is divided into three terms (10 weeks each term) and by the end of the three terms students should be able to
- Understand a wide range of texts, both shorter texts (such as advertisements) and longer, more complex factual texts, commentaries and reports
- Express yourself clearly and in a structured way in writing on the subject of complex matters and also correct mistakes in texts written by other people
- Give clearly structured oral comments on general subjects and topics of particular interest to you
- Take an active part in discussions on subjects you know about, taking up a position and presenting your own point of view.
The class will be conducted as far as possible in German.
For the first session students will need;
Pen and paper only -students will be provided with handouts/worksheets.
The tutor will suggest a textbook for you to buy.
A range of the following topics can be used according to learners’ interests:
- Cultural Studies (art, architecture, music, film, theatre, sport, religion, food and drink)
- Customs and Traditions
- Creative Writing
- Read and respond to Poetry or Songs
- Historical Studies
- Environmental Studies
- Current Affairs
- Social Studies
- General Studies (media, transport, education, tourism, geography, regions, health)
- Political Studies (electoral system, political parties, parliament)
- Literature (study of a story)