German Beginners Term 2
Start date: 15th Jan 2020
Time: 09:15 - 11:15
Duration: 10 weeks
Tutor: Carol Whitehouse
Course code: 20SP106
This course is for:
This course aims to provide the ideal introduction to the language, covering the basic language needed in everyday situations on a visit to Germany. It is for complete beginners or those who want to refresh their basic language skills.
The course is divided in three terms and by the end of the three terms students should be able to get by in real life situations in Germany.
By the end of the course students should be able to
- Understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type, such as phrases concerning immediate concrete surroundings when people speak slowly and clearly.
- Interact in a simple way to formulate what s/he is trying to say.
- Ask and answer simple questions in areas of immediate need or on familiar topics.
- Write a short, simple text describing her/himself.
- Fill in forms with personal details, for example entering her/his name, nationality and address on a hotel registration form.
- Write brief personal messages.
- Understand figures, quantities, times and prices.
BBC Publication Talk German 1
This course book comes with 2 CD’s. If you are new to the course, please speak to tutor before purchasing this book, as we will be moving on to a new course book before the end of the term.
This term will cover
- Shopping for food; quantities, dealing with money
- Shopping for gifts. Understanding opening hours
- Booking a hotel room, checking in at reception and enquiring about facilities
- Transport – arrival and departure times, buying tickets and enquiring about travel details
- Understanding a menu, ordering a meal and expressing your appreciation