German Advanced Plus
Start date: 3rd Jun 2020
Time: 09:15 - 11:15
Duration: 5 weeks
Tutor: Ulrike Hitchen
Course code: 20SU119
This course is for:
Students who have completed at least six years of German or equivalent.
The course is divided into three terms (10 weeks each term) and by the end of the three terms students should be able to
- Easily understand relatively long radio talks, radio programmes and TV news items,
- Understand a wide range of written texts, including longer, more complex factual texts, commentaries and reports,
- Express themselves clearly and logically in essays on complex issues, choosing the right kind of expression to appeal to the reader,
- Verbally express themselves spontaneously and fluently, state their own opinions, formulate their thoughts and views precisely and make detailed contributions of their own.
The class will be conducted nearly exclusively in German.
For the first session students will need;
Pen and paper only -students will be provided with handouts/worksheets.
The tutor will suggest some resources for you to buy.
A range of the following topics can be used according to learners’ interests:
- Cultural Studies (art, architecture, music, film, theatre, sport, religion, food and drink)
- Customs and Traditions
- Creative Writing
- Read and respond to Poetry or Songs
- Historical Studies
- Environmental Studies
- Current Affairs
- Social Studies
- General Studies (media, transport, education, tourism, geography, regions, health)
- Political Studies (electoral system, political parties, parliament)
- Literature (study of a novel, author, play)
- Economic Issues
- Europe (the EU and the European Parliament)
Your tutor will contact you with regard to the platform to be used prior to the course starting.