French Advanced Year 2
Start date: 2nd Jun 2020
Time: 18:45 - 20:45
Duration: 5 weeks
Tutor: Yvonne Davies
Course code: 20SU151
This course is for students of all ages who have completed at least three years of French studies, are interested in France, its culture and language, and are keen to learn and gain confidence in communicating in French.
For the first session students will need:
Pen and A4 paper only. The tutor will provide worksheets which will be the basis of their studies.
This course is divided into three terms and by the end of the year students should be able to:
- Recognise and use the main features of grammar with confidence.
- Listen effectively for specific details / general information, ideas and opinions from a range of sources.
- Use a range of ‹ repair strategies › to overcome communication breakdown.
- communicate adequately in a range of social, transactional and work-related situations.
- Ask for or provide information on a range of topics. Seek and respond to ideas and opinions on a range of issues. Take part in varied discussions.
- Read texts in the target language to extract specific details and information from different types of source material such as press articles, literature, extracts etc.
- Write effective in the target language for a range of purposes
This year the students will
- discuss principal topics in the French Press and other issues relating to France.
- learn about driving in France, the rules of the French road, what to do in the event of an accident or break-down
- look at other forms of transport in France
- explore different areas of France
- learn about the French media : the Press, TV, radio, internet
- consider the importance of cinema in French society and give a critique of a film
- look at environmental issues
- improve grammatical knowledge, increase vocabulary range and practice communication skills
- complete weekly homework assignments
By the end of the course students should have gained an improved understanding of French language use, including pronunciation, grammatical structures, and an expanded vocabulary with a greater range of key phrases to cope with everyday situations whilst travelling in a French speaking country
You will be contacted by your tutor prior to the course starting to inform you of the platform to be used.