French Advanced 2
Start date: 19th Sep 2022
Time: 14:00 - 16:00
Duration: 10 weeks
Tutor: Muriel Cordoba
Course code: 22AU124
Advanced 2 – Term 1
This course is suitable for students with five years of French learning.
During the course you will learn to:
- Understand a wide range of texts on concrete and abstract topics.
- Understand reports and discussions in various contexts from different audio sources.
- Express yourself on a wide range of topics in a clear and detailed manner, explain your position on a current issue and argue the pros and cons of a specific point.
- Express yourself clearly and logically in writings on various issues and contexts, choosing the right kind of expression to appeal to the reader.
- Interact in a spontaneous way and take an active part in discussions.
The topics covered will be decided according to learners’ interests and could be related to:
- Current Affairs
- Culture (art, architecture, music, film, theatre, sport, religion, food and drink)
- Environmental Issues
- Cities (history, lodging, urban environment)
- Political systems
- French speaking world
- French regions
The aim is to develop the French learner’s confidence, accuracy and fluency in the four language skills. Lessons are based around specific topics through the use of texts (press articles, speeches, novels etc.) and audio sources (interviews, reports, discussions) which serve as a vehicle for pair and group conversation, class discussion and linguistic activities. Each course will build up language awareness, cultural knowledge of Francophone countries, facilitate vocabulary growth, practice certain grammatical points and monitor pronunciation, all with a view to encouraging independence in using the language.